Friday, April 17, 2009

Breakthrough Run Yesterday!

I don't often write about my running because, well, I think I'm a crappy runner. At least I don't think I'll ever be called fast, but still, I work on my running because it is part of a triathlon. If I only ran, I might be faster, but my ortho says I shouldn't even be running (even though he's a marathoner) let alone doing Ironman, so I'll take what I can get running-wise. Besides, I'm all about the bike!

BUT...this training season is shaping up to be something different. After a lackluster 2007-2008 season and no winter marathon, I had no expectations for my running (or biking or swimming, for that matter), except that I was hoping a little bit of self-imposed (or should I say idiot-imposed) rest (from the back injury) might do me some good.

And I started feeling OK about my running in January since I was able to perform pretty well in the indoor tri series. But then I remembered how good it felt to run really light, and the removal of a few pounds of fat was in order, and at the same time I was starting to jump rope again. And well, all those things seem to be coming together, based on this week's running.

Wednesday's run was good--not really fast, but since I just started running outside regularly recently, and there's hills whichever way I go from home (except north, which is into downtown and I have no desire to ever go that way), so acclimating to hills and pavement all at once can be stressful. But still, I've been noticing that I can run those hills easier and easier, even considering we've had some decent wind lately (pretty normal for April).

I did yesterday's run as a double out-and-back. First I did 7 miles running faster than I had on Wednesday, which normally would make me think I was going to blow up big time for the remainder, but it didn't. I did slow down a little for the last 4.5, but still a respectable pace, and my overall pace for the 11.5 was faster than I've ever run that distance, which should translate into a serious 1/2 marathon PR at some point, even in a 1/2 Ironman (but not Triple T's 1/2 which is stupid hilly and comes on the last day so no PR's then).

The run was made sweeter by the air temp being just over 60. I started out wearing a singlet over my bra top, but warmed up after just 1 mile and took it off and carried. The sunshine was glorious! My legs felt great, and while I wasn't exactly charging the hills, I wasn't slowing down too much on any of them, and I did negative split each of the two out-and-backs.

The run was made even sweeter by the fact that I did effectively 4 workouts on Wednesday (core, swim, lift, run) and I lifted early yesterday morning for about 1/2 hour, too, which included some leg work!

The run was made even sweeter by getting the beginning of a tan!

After I showered yesterday, I put on my compression tights and refueled well, got in almost 1/2 hour of stretching, ate a good dinner of about 4 oz. Porterhouse steak and 4 oz. spaghetti with pesto, a couple of beers, and a small slice of cake. That should get me through the night, right?

FUCK NO!!!

I woke up this morning at 2:30 (at least it's getting later and later, which means I'm getting close to eating enough) and had a half sandwich and a couple pieces of herring, got back in bed and had more weird dreams, but I still got a good night's sleep overall.

Today is going to be another gorgeous day, and my plan is to do some jump rope and core, swim, about 10 more minutes of lifting (legs and back) and then run for 1:20. I was going to drive to Waterfall Glen, but I probably won't have time because I have a bunch of other things to get done today, including just sitting or laying outside in the sun just to soak it in!

And bonus, the weather forecast for tomorrow no longer calls for rain, and it will hit 70 again, so I am going to take advantage by riding for 4 hours! I am sure I will be humbled since this will be my first 4-hour ride this year, but being in the sun will be awesome! And the plan is to run :45 off the bike. Sunday will then be an easy 2-hour spin on the bike and maybe a 1/2 hour recovery swim.

I'll check back in on Monday, and see if I survived all of this! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments: