Monday, July 27, 2009

Quick IMLP Race Report

#13 is in the books! It was my IMLP PR and also my lifetime IM PR, 13:14:59, I know that's not fast, but it works for me! Late last night I was wishing I had gone 13:13:something, but oh well!

The day started ominously with some rain before the swim start and weather predictions for maybe rain. But it poured I guess for 10 minutes during the swim (I barely noticed) and then didn't really rain the rest of the day, so I was happy. It actually turned out to be my ideal racing weather for an IM, and I was grateful the entire day.

I had some stomach issues on the run, but when I finally made myself puke, I felt better and was able to run the last 4.2 miles pretty well. I PR'ed on the bike, but my run was the same as in 2007, which was my prior IMLP PR.

Even though I am talking with people about other IM's, and sure, I'm VERY tempted, I am not signing up for anything anytime soon! I need to finish Revenge of the PirateMan and then think about what happens next. If it's Ultraman Canada, well, it is going to mean a whole lot of training every single weekend.

But right now I am just trying to recover a bit (albeit rehydrating with BEER!) so I can drive home tomorrow and get back at something on Wednesday.

I am SO grateful that I have enough fitness to finish these bad boy races, and I guess I do OK at them. Of course I'd like to be faster, but I was born for endurance, not speed--and so I will step it up a bit in about 6 weeks, right?

I had a FANTASTIC time with Shelley, and I don't know when I will see her next, so that is a little bittersweet, and we are both a little sad over leaving Lake Placid, but life moves on, and we will both move on to other things.

Yes, I got sucked into tons of finisher swag, but hey, it's my last Ironman, so all good, right?

I will write up everything I can remember probably on Wednesday throughout the day. As always, there were many amazing moments yesterday, and I will always cherish them all.

It's over and out now, as I have to be packed for an early departure tomorrow morning. It feels like I've just lost like a week of my life, but what I gained in that time is immeasurable.

3 comments:

Pete said...

You finished 9th out of 59 starters and 38 finishers in your division. That's better than OK, that's fantastic! Very cool and very inspiring.

IronSnoopy said...

I am so thrilled for you. We sat here on the couch and watched you finish. Love the pirate jersey. :)

You are amazing. Every day I read your posts and am inspired.

Congratulations on going out with style and a lifetime PR!

Can't wait to see your future endeavors!

Marci said...

Your day was amazing in Lake Placid... you totally rocked the course and should be so pleased with how you did! You are not just OK when it comes to Ironmans... but FANTASTIC! Go and enjoy your recovery... it is soooooooooooo well deserved! It was great getting to hang with you this weekend Shelia!