Friday, March 09, 2012

First Week of Coached Training and Food Channel


I've made it through 4.5 days worth of coach's workouts.  They have gone well.  I have another 1:20 bike to do today yet, but without that I'm up to almost 11 hours for the week.  I should reach around 19:00 by the end of the week.

Needless to say, at this level, I need to eat often and ensure I am replacing all my glycogen stores every day.  I think I must have been behind yesterday, because here's what I ended up eating for dinner and beyond last night:
  • 2 beers
  • about 5-6 oz. spaghetti with blue cheese/bacon/red pepper sauce and liberal grated Romano on top
  • A medium size salad of butter lettuce, grape tomatoes, copious olive oil, creme of balsamic, and a sprinkle of grated Romano cheese
  • 2 Stoned Wheat Thins crackers spread with light braunschweiger (yes, I like that)
  • 2 raspberry Fig Newtons
My workouts yesterday were a 3400 Masters swim and a 1:45 ride that included about 20' of VO2 Max intervals.  Before dinner, I went through the following:
  • 32 oz. Gatorade
  • 1 can Coke (for first hour of ride)
  • 1 serving Endurox R4
  • Breakfast muffin plus hardboiled egg for breakfast
  • Some sugar-containing cream in my coffee
  • 2 pieces of String Cheese
  • A 300-calorie Lean Cuisine (Indian chicken somehow) for lunch
  • 2 bananas
  • A handful of roasted almonds
  • Probably some other stuff I don't remember.  All I remember is eating constantly.
Sometime after 7PM, I passed out in front of the TV, and then woke up around 8PM.  I felt like I needed some more calories, so I ate a Powerbar Triple Threat and went back to sleep.

When I woke up this morning, I wasn't starving, but within 30 minutes and a cup of coffee, I had breakfast, and the eating cycle began all over again.  I looked in my freezer wistfully, knowing that all the good things in there are going to be consumed faster than normal.  I am trying to avoid buying candy for snacks, but I'm thinking I probably should just go ahead since my calories needs are going to rise in the next few weeks.  On the white board in my kitchen where I note needed supplies, I just wrote CARBS.

Anyone who wants to buy me a meal better watch out!

No comments: