Thursday, September 25, 2014

Interview with a Vampire...er...Interviewing for a Coach--Need Your Help


I am entertaining the idea of retaining a coach to help me achieve my goal of finishing Ultraman Hawaii in 2016, and I am beginning a search. I don't think I will actually NEED the coach until summer next year, but that might be negotiable. I'd like to continue just doing some self-selected fun stuff through next summer, although I'd be actively building Ironman fitness.

The reason I'm posting this to my blog is so that readers who know of a coach that might fit my particular needs (or who ARE a coach) can make recommendations to me. Other than my data points, it would be helpful to me if said coach has:
  • Either coached others who have done Ultraman or double+ Ironman
  • Done double+ Ironman or Ultraman themselves
  • Coached competitive women in their 50's
  • Coached people who are or done the above while being a working stiff. Training for Ultraman is much different if you have several months off work during the year, or are retired or employed part-time
It was good for me to assemble this information, as it is possible that one or more prospective coaches might tell me I have no business trying to do this, and I am going into this process with eyes wide open and will benefit from all the feedback I can get!

So here goes, deep breath! Some personal information withheld, although the NSA will have that information ;)



Athlete Information for CRACKHEAD

Basic Demographics
·        Date of Birth: WITHHELD. I AM AN OLD LADY CURRENTLY AGE 58
·        Residence: STREET ADDRESS WITHHELD USA (house)
·        Marital Status: Single (divorced for so long I don’t even state that anymore!)
·        Children: None
·        Employment: Full time for WITHHELD as Critical Accounts Manager. Generally a 40-hour work week with flexibility to train during the day most days of the week, i.e., I can usually work around meetings. Work from home, so I have ZERO commute time!
·        Height: 5 feet 2 inches
·        Weight: Currently 114 lbs. (prefer to race at 110-112)

Health
·        Overall Health: Good. No heart conditions, cholesterol and blood pressure great.
·        Chronic conditions: Hypothyroidism (treated with 100mcg Synthroid daily), osteoporosis (treated with raloxifene HCL daily), missing ACL in left knee, several herniated disks L4-L5 region (generally they aren’t an issue and may no longer be herniated—wouldn’t know without an MRI), Morton’s Neuroma in right foot that appears manageable
·        Recovery strategies: Stretch :15-:30 daily (incorporates some yoga poses), massage every 2-3 weeks (every week about 12 weeks out from a major race). Generally sleep well 8-9 hours per night.

Training Facilities
·        Home Training Equipment: 4 bikes (2 TT, 1 road, 1 MTB), treadmill, universal weight machine and free weights (plus stability balls and medicine balls up to 20#), 2 TACX Satori trainers. One TT bike (custom built) has Powertap; other bikes have no power measuring device. Do not own (do not want) a Garmin and haven’t used HR monitor in years, but wouldn’t be averse to HR monitor. Do not use Strava, don’t want to.
·        Pool Access: I live .8 miles from my 25-yard pool which is at a YMCA, lap time on weekdays is 5-8; weekends 5-7 on Saturdays and 9-1 on Sundays.
·        Soft Running Trail Access: I am about a :20 drive to one which is a 9.5 mile hilly loop (Waterfall Glen), and about :15 drive to one with a bunch of flats plus a 1-mile hill (Greene Valley can’t find data on the hill but it’s pretty steep!)

Athletic Background
·        Pre-1982: nothing! I am a nerd with a Math degree
·        1982-1985: rollerskating about 40 miles per week
·        1989-1998: primarily strength training, modest cardio work
·        1998: Began running
·        2000: Began doing triathlons


Training Hours History (click on the picture to view large size)
 
Personal Records
·        Ironman 13:14 at Ironman Lake Placid 2009 (17 total Ironmans done; 4 or 5 of these were self-supported)
·        ½ Ironman 5:31 at Racine 2004
·        Ultraman Canada 2010 33:18:47 (wasn’t going for anything other than to finish)
·        Open Marathon: 4:20 Disney Marathon 2010 (the day after a 2:10 1/2 marathon at same venue as part of Goofy Challenge)
·        Most recent Ironman Cozumel 12/1/2013 in 14:05. Felt my performance was compromised as my hypothyroidism wasn’t being treated properly at the time

Current Training Cycle Objectives
·        The big goal: finish Ultraman Hawaii in November, 2016
·        Improve swim (this will be huge). Have access to local swim coach to facilitate this.
·        Have some fun at shorter (up to ½ IM) races during 2015 in order to regain speed and work my way back up to IM+ training.
·        Train at ½ IM level through May, 2015 (maybe longer)
·        Build IM fitness beginning May, 2015
·        Will need to establish qualifying race for Ultraman Hawaii—possibly Leadman 250, possibly a NothingMan (self-supported IM). Note that in 2009 to prepare for Ultraman Canada, I did a 4-day training block where Days 1 and 2 I did Olympic distance, Day 3 1/2 IM and Day 4 IM. I would like to do that again in August, 2015
·        Know that I can comfortably train about 10-12 hours across Monday-Friday (any more than that and I seem to fall apart) due to my job. Weekends are wide open. I probably now need the occasional rest day being a geezer!
·        Intend to continue strength training approximately 1:30-1:45 per week.
·        Prefer the following daily schedule off-season (October through March):
o   M: Swim, shorter run
o   T: Bike, up to 1:30
o   W: Swim, tempo run up to 1:15
o   Th: Bike, up to 1:30
o   F: Swim (longest one), shorter run
o   Sa: Long ride, possibly transition run
o   Su: Long run, optional recovery swim about :30

·        In-season (April-September) prefer the following daily schedule:
o   M: Swim, shorter run
o   T: Bike, up to 1:30
o   W: Swim, tempo run up to 1:15
o   Th: Long run up to 2:30
o   F: Swim (longest one), shorter run
o   Sa: Long ride 1, possibly transition run
o   Su: Long ride 2, optional recovery swim

I successfully trained to the above schedules from 2004-2013; seems to work with my job and other life aspects.




Well there it is. Please either contact me on Facebook or by commenting on this blog with candidates! This should be fun!

1 comment:

it's all about pace said...

Might want to check out Heather Jones-Proctor (she is Kelly Smirnoff's sister and coach)