Sunday, December 25, 2005

Yesterday's Workout: Counting Down

I got plenty of sleep again (I'm garbaging up on it this week--it's one thing I'm really GOOD at during taper), but dilly-dallied in starting my workout. I had to get started no later than about 10:15 so that I could make it to the Y and get on a treadmill before it closed at 1PM. I figured everybody and their brother would be vying for treadmill space since the day started out raining.

10:22AM Bike 1:30, run :30. The bike was fun--this was only my 2nd ride this week (tapering, you know), so I knew I'd have plenty of energy and power. The ride was structured as WU: 15' Easy MS: 2 x 15' (2') at Half IM watts, 20' Steady, 1 x 15' at Half IM watts CD: 10' easy. Hah! I can do Half IM watts all day--or at least for 56 miles :). I was right about my leg status and power. I easily averaged 140 watts for each HIM interval and about 125 for the Steady. These are about 5-10 watts above what I would normally do for these intensities. I knew that riding a little harder, in the big scheme of things, was going to do no harm. I did not drink my Infinit mixture--I didn't need the caffeine for such a short and easy ride, and I didn't want to risk not being able to sleep soundly, as that is one of my taper priorities.

When I got to the Y, I was right--every treadmill had a body on it. It made me slightly angry that at least 1/2 of them were occupied by walkers--there's a perfectly good indoor track that they could use. But I guess, you know, it's important to be able to WATCH TV ALL THE TIME!!! OMG there are even TV's in my grocery store now, and it pisses me off. I like being in the grocery store and looking at all the good food possibilities (and some of the bad ones, I must admit) in my own little meditative way. There is plenty of noise in this world, don't you think? Are people's lives that boring that they need constant entertainment and stimulus? Shit, exercise people, and then you will really appreciate silence. OK, sorry about that rant (I can appreciate people walking on treadmills, I guess), but I should form a committee against the proliferation of unnecessary TV sets.

I spotted someone I know walking, and she's a runner, so I figured by the amount of sweat pouring off of her that she was finished. Thankfully, I was right. We chatted a little too long for me to consider my workout a brick (I ended up with a 14' T2, but that's OK), being Christmas eve and all, and then I got to work.

Wow, did my legs feel great. 1/2 hour less biking than last Saturday, an easy day on Friday, Thursday essentially off, it was almost like I hadn't been on the bike at all. My HR was nice and low, too. I am (pardon my French here) FUCKING FIT. I didn't need to run hard, but I could have. My mental governor told me to keep it aerobic, so I did.

After I finished, I showered and headed home and ate lunch. I forgot to mix Endurox R4 before I left, so I decided to just forget about it. I'm tapering anyway; I can get by without it.

I then headed out to get a gift card for my parents at a restaurant, then I went to a sporting goods store to try and score some clothing for Disney, and finally to the grocery store (of course, complete with TV's).

I got lucky at the sporting goods store--almost everything was marked down, and I got a white long sleeve shirt for $9 that I can wear and toss if I need to, a pink one same deal, a technical hot pink Nike long sleeve shirt that will just be a good basic thing for my pink collection, and a really close fitting Nike pink and white top that I may wear for the 1/2 marathon in Disney. When I picked stuff out to try on, I took size Small and Extra Small into the dressing room. Well, folks, I am Extra Small. Funny, I don't think of myself that way. I figured the Nike stuff would run small, but the XS was just fine.

The grocery store run was for fruit, Ultra Violence and a few treats. I got some goat cheese, herring in wine sauce and a small sushi platter. The goat cheese is really not something I need right now during taper, but I can pace myself and have a little bit today and tomorrow and not be too worried about it. Oh yeah, THANK GOD THERE ARE TV'S IN THE GROCERY STORE.

When I got home, I immediately dove into the sushi. I could feel myself becoming hypoclycemic after only having a tuna fish sandwich after my workout (and it was my homemade tuna salad, which I hadn't made I think for like 5 years--it's the BEST), but it was getting near dinner and I needed to eat a full meal, but I threw caution to the wind and had 4 pieces of sushi.

I have to mention that on Friday night I was going to cook these meatballs, but ended up not making them because I made the tuna salad late in the day and ate lunch really late and then I didn't feel like cooking. But, the ground sirloin was defrosted, and I LOVE GOOD RAW BEEF, and I could have eaten a 1/2 pound of it, but had nearly a small hamburger raw and then ended up just sauteing some for a snack later, eaten with lots of ketchup and salt. Mmmmmmm......

Yesterday I DID cook the meatballs, and they are almost a meal all by themselves--they are really strange--the sauce is whole berry cranberry sauce, sauerkraut, chili sauce and brown sugar--and the meatballs are meat, eggs, bread crumbs and Lipton Onion Soup Mix (anyone who wants the recipe just email me). I typically make these during a week of light training or tapering. Sometimes I'll eat a tortilla or two with them, but last night nothing, even though I had bought a couple of giant baking potatoes to eat with them. I really don't like potatoes that much, and I will ask for them maybe 3 times a year when going out to dinner. They just don't do much for me, except they are good place to put a LOT OF SALT! I do like salt!

I spent Christmas Eve by myself. All my friends are married or live out of town, and my family has always been dysfunctional this time of year, which sort of sucks, but I'm used to it now. I did feel a little lonely, but was still thankful for everything that I have, particularly my health.

2 comments:

Brett said...

You should be thankful, as you obviously have plenty of health! :) I hope you had a great Christmas!

Comm's said...

This may be a stange question or i missed something, but are you a full time triathlete? Maybe I just miss any illustration of work or you choose to not mention it, which I could understand. But you sure pack a lot into a day.

I get up to 13-16 hours a week training, sometimes more or less.