Sunday, February 19, 2006

Weekly Training Report: 2/13/2006-2/19/2006

This was another intense week, workout-wise. Intensity increased in tempo run, long ride and long run. Duration increased in long ride. Next week I do a swim time trial (only 1,000 yards, which is adequate for a HIM) and back off the run volume slightly. But I am going to jack up my bike volume just a bit more so that I feel confident in my endurance heading into Ralph’s. I fully intend to negotiate with my coach for a little more volume than he planned for me; then again maybe not! All I know is I have a scheduled rest day tomorrow—but I will knock out my entire strength workout anyway. At least I get to sleep in on a Monday, which is rare for me!

My long run today was not a piece of cake after yesterday's brick, but then again, I didn't expect it to be. I decided I would forego the Ultra Violence so that I will sleep like a rock tonight, and while my legs felt pretty good except for a little quad tightness (gee, what a surprise there, huh?), I could just feel the accumulated fatigue of working out hard pretty much every single day this week AGAIN! And I did something silly--I knew I would be oh-so-close to 15 hours of training for the week on the nose, but not quite there, so I ran a few extra minutes. Am I retarded or what? When I read about other people doing that, I generally laugh, so go ahead, laugh at me, I won't mind! And I must tell you that those 4 extra minutes of running were difficult, even though I ran at my easy pace. Guess I had exactly 1:40 of running in the tank for today, NOT 1:44. Now that, my friends, is what I call measuring your effort with 100% precision! Just like in a race!

Here are the details from the week that was:
Swim: 10,100 yards in 3.57 hours; 24% of weekly workout time
Bike: 4.92 hours; approx. 86 miles; 33% of weekly workout time
Run: 4.82 hours; approx. 30 miles; 32% of weekly workout time
Strength: 1.73 hours; 12% of weekly workout time
Total Hours: 15.04 (see here I even went OVER the 15.0, ha ha)
Approx. Calories Burned by Exercise: 6,448
Average Sleep: 8.82 hours/night
Stretching: 2.45 hours

Goals from Last Week:

  • Average 8+ hours of sleep per night. DONE
  • Stretch 15' per day. DONE
  • Meet or beat 165 watts during all FT intervals. DONE
  • Meet or beat 100 and 200 speeds in all swim workouts. DONE
  • Keep the momentum going. DONE

Accomplishments This Week:

  • Met all goals.
  • Weathered some stressful events by continuing to focus on good nutrition, adequate sleep/rest, plenty of stretching and rolling with the punches.
  • Did not wimp out on any workouts, even as there was more intensity in running, more intensity and volume in biking, and more of an endurance focus in swimming.

Goals for Next Week:

  • Average 8+ hours of sleep per night.
  • Stretch 15' per day.
  • BEAT 165 watts during all FT intervals.
  • BEAT previous 1,000 yard TT time and do it with the wetsuit on (I need to see if the darn thing still fits!)
  • Keep the mental focus. Hard training has taken its toll this week mentally, but resulted in a spot-on brick workout yesterday. Try and duplicate that this coming week. Last week of strength/endurance strength workouts. YIPPEE!!!!!
Workouts Completed this Week
Monday: Swim 3,100 yards in 1:06; Strength :51; Run :50 including strides
Tuesday: Strength :21; Bike 1:05 including 2x15’ FT, watts=172, 170
Wednesday: Run 1:05 including :30 tempo ; Strength :32
Thursday: Swim 2,800 yards in 1:00; Bike 1:05 including 3x10’ FT, watts=169, 170, 165 (I was a little off for this workout)
Friday: Swim 3,100 yards in 1:05; Run :40 including strides.
Saturday: Bike 2:45 (see yesterday’s post for stats); brick run 30’. Entire workout felt great!
Sunday: Run 1:44, including 20’ Upper-Steady and 25’ Tempo; Swim 1,100 yards in :22

No comments: