Monday, July 28, 2008

IMLP in Pics

I look totally hot in rubber, don't I?

My swim sucked. But the people behind me sucked even more.


















At least the aero helmet kept the rain off the TOP of my head, but going downhill or riding up on someone else pretty much sucked--spray-o-rama.

I should win an award for biggest dork!















I felt pretty much like ass most of the day, especially with the constant peeing, but I tried to smile when I noticed a photographer and also at the volunteers, because, hey, they don't need to be part of my misery!















See? I saw the photographer and managed a big smile even though I was cold (notice my hands inside my jacket), wet, smelly and my legs hurt pretty much. Oh well, when everything sucks, you can always still smile!

















Do I look like I'm glad it's over?


















No that's not a pizza in the bag I'm holding. It's my Special Needs bags.

I want to black out the time clock. Ugh...Oh well, you can guarantee I'll be faster at NothingMan!

On the plus side, those black shorts are slimming, don't you think?














The typical "deer in headlights" photo. At first, I was going to take off the rain jacket, but the thing went 138.2 miles with me so it earned a place in this photo.














I didn't write in my brief race report that I spent the better part of the bike and run trying not to cry--I was successful much of the time. Not because I was in physical pain--it was because this was my second Ironman following the death of a parent. It's not easy. I thought that because it had been 8 months that I wouldn't feel so sad. But hey, a ton of rain, being cold and wet, not being as well trained as I wanted to be (in fact I'll be where I should have been by NothingMan), and I had a lot of time in which to think over the last 8 months. IMLP became the punctuation on the experience, and I got through it. I think I worked out a lot of things that day, but there are more to come. The best part of all is that Dad got to do it with me. Nobody else in my family will ever be able to say "I did an Ironman with Dad." And it was a PR for him!

Meanwhile, I don't see anything in my way right now. My legs are starting to feel good on the bike (no running yet), and I'm still digging on swimming outdoors. I'm getting a lot of sleep and eating well. I just don't have the desire for junk food. I've got maybe 2-3 more lbs. to come off and I'm good to go. I'm actually looking forward to my first run in a few days!

3 comments:

Cindy Jo said...

Unlike you, I'm getting NO sleep and eating crap :(

The comments for the pics are hilarious! And I think the one of you smiling on the run is AWESOME! It sums up exactly why we do this crazy shit. Or just that you're crazy.

Cyber Stalker said...

What a race! I have to give a lot of credit for anyone who finished that race. A cold Monsoon! You never give up. What an insporation to others. Thank You! MJ

triguyjt said...

its like it all came out that day...the rain in buckets and the emotions for you...

i know you discount the time, but you are an ironman--again!! and that is in no way a small accomplishment