Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Importance of Massage to Me



Last night I went to massage school again, although I did not receive a traditional massage. I had some lymph node work done. It felt good, and I know I needed it, because my girl Courtney was finding all these buildups of crap in my neck and arms. But I still need a massage this week, so I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with my main man, Mike, who owns the school.

If you live in my area and are interested in either getting a top notch massage (sports, or otherwise--visit the website which I've also included in my sidebar), look up Sohmar.

I've been getting regular massage for, oh, almost 10 years now, and can't imagine life without it. I thought I could get by for a little while without, but I find it to be a nice supplement to regular stretching and self body work. I'm sure I'm being repetitive about this, but you can't beat having another person work you over to identify areas that you didn't know needed attention! Mike is a triathlete/runner himself, so he's greatly in tune with athletes' needs.

Massage can be just plain relaxing for those of you who don't engage in regular stretching and/or meditation/relaxation techniques. Plus, it's a known fact that the human body craves touch, and while some people are skittish about having some stranger touch them, trust me, it's a good thing to do because fact is, asking your SO to give you a massage is generally going to lead to something else ;) Not that that's a bad thing, either!

Massage therapists are more than willing to work with people who are modest about taking all their clothes off. Me--I will strip butt naked in front of anyone who's giving me a massage--it just doesn't matter. They've been there, done that, seen that. But if you're a triathlete/runner and you need work on your glutes (and you do), it just works better without the undies, you know?

And here's my personal pitch for guys to shave. Yeah, smoothness helps when getting a massage, on whichever part of your body is getting worked on.

So, in summary, take off, then take it off, then get yourself worked over!

3 comments:

ramster said...

yeah massage is great. i have an appt this afternoon, but i think i am going to have to break up with this therapist for a while. she is fantastic, great hands and can really tell what i need just by talking, looking and being near to me. but lately i have been finding the massage is geared more to the relaxation and less to the body work i need for a nagging groin injury.

(And no, i dont need that kind of relaxation for my groin)

I am going to consider a ten series with a certified rolfer during this 'Out Season", see if i can get my limbs aligned now, before the big Ironman volume starts, in March.

oh yeah, the nudity thing, for sure there shoudl be no need for modesty, they have seen it all. as far as the shaving bit, i think thats as much a personal preference for you as well as the massage therpaist. i talked to mine about it, she has a ton of expereince working with athletes and she said no need, she just uses extra oil if its needed. So for now i am still not shaving :)

Born To Endure said...

Smooth is always best..:-) I'm going for my massage on Friday..can't wait!

Kimberly Rae said...

thanks for posting that link... i can really use a good massage to release some tension!

I agree shaved is best, male or female...