Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Um...this hurts?

So today I did my first track workout:

WU: 10' Easy, 8 x Strides, 3 x 1' (30") @ 5k pace
MS: 3 x (6' @ 10k pace, 2' @ 5k pace, 2' walking recovery)
CD: 5-10' Easy

I did these a few years ago as preparation for the indoor tris and also Triple T. Only 2 years ago in the prior fall/winter months I had done some serious running preparation for Goofy Challenge that included a lot of tempo work and progressive long runs.

What kind of running have I done so far this season? A lot of mostly easy stuff, with brief bursts (10-15') of tempo pace thrown in in just the last 3 weeks! The same has been true of my biking. So you can imagine the shock to my legs to have done this bike workout yesterday (after lifting for about an hour including legs):

WU: 15' wup, 3' spinups
MS: 3 x 1' (1') @ 105%, 2' Easy, 4 x 5' (2') as 4' @ FT then 1' @ 105-110%, 3' Easy, 10 x 30/30' CD: 3' Easy

and then show up for today's track workout. My legs were plenty toasted by the 3rd repetition, and when I look back at how I did in these workouts 2 years ago, I've got some work to do. BUT, I was happy that I got through it. AND I think I am well on my way to resolving my back injury (I give it 2 more weeks max).

The really good thing is that mentally I am SO ready to punish myself in training, because I know what dividends it will pay. Plus, I have no complaints about the rest of my life right now, so why wouldn't I put some real focus into my training again?

I suppose in some way or other it was good that I had a forced break from my usual Crackhead-style training this fall--replacing it with constant activity related to remodeling. It's cold and snowy here, and I don't fucking care because I have a plan, I have races, I have burning desire to train hard, and if all that happens in 2009 is that I am no slower than I was 2 years ago, I'm a happy camper!

On that note, I need some motivational music, so here we go:

1 comment:

ECrunnergirl said...

Nothing more punishing than track work!! Kick ass video by the way! Glad you are back to the Crackhead style of training!!