Saturday, September 07, 2013

Tons o' Biking Part 6 and First Day in Wisconsin

This is getting repetitive ;)

Yesterday I took the day off from work due to needing to drive up to IMWI to train some and hang with friends. First, I swam 3200 pretty fast for me.  Next up was a :40 easy run.  While I seem to have licked my right foot issue, my right glute area is none too happy.  I tried to assess what about my mechanics might be in play, and I also assume there is some nerve action, due to my L5/S1 disks that may or may not still be herniated.

It seems I want to turn my right foot out--I have worked hard over the years to not do that, and I'm not sure whether this is the after effect of fixing the metatarsalgia or not.  At any rate, my ass hurt like a mofo while I was running.  It only slowed me slightly, though, since I have boatloads of HTFU and I know I don't have an actual "injury."  I could tell that when I focused on pointing my foot straight ahead, that my external hip rotators were not angry with me, so perhaps this means I need to alter my metatarsal pad placement a bit.  Or maybe I am just running too much!  Or biking too much!  This has happened to me in the past, so I know I can make it go away.  Typically, biking a lot helps, because the bike pedals put my feet/hips in a straight ahead position, thus letting those external hip rotators work less.  Funny how that works!

Here I am after the run:
I'm wearing a wristband from some IM race, I don't know offhand which one it is.

Outside Fish is such a voyeur!
Finally, I had an optional 1-hour ride, so of course I was going to do it, and for easy rides I get to ride any bike I want, so it was Death Machine, because, well, it's a fucking fine bike! 
Outside Fish wanted to go for a ride, but I had to leave him at home.

I started out riding kinda hard, since a guy was coming out of the Y road as I was riding through, and he appeared to be going rather fast, so I just hit the gas and was going 20mph and got far ahead.  Then I settled down, and remembered why this ride was supposed to be EASY and why I should honor that.  There has been quite the buildup of both strength and fatigue in my legs with the amount of biking I've been doing.  I think you can see it in my legs--honestly, I don't think my legs have ever been quite this muscular.  So yay!

I had one altercation with a car, and backup to me leaving the Y, I asked them if I could either do a board and/or a presentation on what the new law in Illinois is regarding cars passing cyclists.   Here is the law.  I know most of us cyclists know it, but cars?  I'd say 95% do NOT know.  I have been using any opportunity to get on my soapbox and explain this to people.  Most times, I get a "yeah but most of the cyclists I see don't obey traffic signals."  And then I just about lose it.  Because drivers only feel that way when they are in a hurry, and they believe the cyclist is somehow impeding them from making it to Dunkin' Donuts.  I calmly explain that probably 60% or better of DRIVERS don't use turn signals, coast through stop signs, don't look both ways when turning.  But I am quick to point out that unless there is ZERO TRAFFIC, I am obeying all traffic rules, signs and signals.  Please if you live in Illinois help get the word out! 

Back to my altercation.  We were side by side at a stoplight, and across the intersection was a USPS truck parked to the right.  I'd signaled to the car next to me where I was going, and often I will accelerate faster than a car at a light, so I went first.  Now, I have to give the parked truck room, and at this point, the car behind me speeds up to overtake me!  They tried to pass within about a foot of me, and I didn't swear at them, but said, "What are you doing???"  They got all pissed and I calmly explained the 3-feet law, but they were none too interested.  It was maybe 10:30 in the morning, meaning these people were most likely retired and not needing to be anywhere.  Oh well.

Moving on, I finished up the ride:

And then I finished packing for Wisconsin.  I drove up and it took me 2:30, which is slow (146 miles) because I90 was under construction for like 40 miles.  Which meant that once I crossed the border into Wisconsin, I was exceeding the speed limit ;)  I had to make up time!

When I got to the hotel, I took load 1 out of my car.  I have as much or more crap than someone who is racing, because I am training AND SPECTATING, and I need my energy, so I have 2 coolers, an entire bag of running stuff, a bag of spectating outfits, my bike stuff and a bag of snacks.  DON'T EVER MAKE FUN OF HOW MUCH CRAP I HAVE!!!  Because someone invariably needs something I have...

I called William who is staying down the hall from me, and he and his wife, Donna, came to my room, and Donna and I had a beer, and we caught up, and then they helped me get the rest of my crap out of my car, and then Lori and Jen arrived, and we had dinner at Tutto Pasta and wow, there is so much to tell, but here are pics of all of us:
William "Iron Ox" (he's racing) and his wife, Donna

Lori and Jen, who are both racing

Lori, Jen and me
Today I ride LGL on the course for about 72 miles, then I meet up with Dark Knight to firm up our race day plans (basically I am going to be half naked motivating him and others), possibly catch a glimpse of one of my former coaches, then an early dinner, hopefully same crew as last night (although if they are sick of me I will go off on my own), and then the real fun begins tomorrow morning!

I might not be able to blog again until Monday, so hold onto your pants, we're in for a wild ride!


No comments: