Tuesday, January 24, 2006

GO BIG AND HARD OR GO HOME!!!

Today's topic is my next block of training. I've written in the past how I get excited when I am able to look ahead at what my coach has planned for me. Although only the next 5 weeks are 100% filled in on my schedule, I am well aware of the significant training "events" that are going onto my training calendar in the lead-up to Ironman Brazil.

If you've followed along with me the last 2 months, you will know that I had a serious run focus going to get me ready for Goofy Challenge. No huge long runs (my biggest was 14 miles) in there--just consistent, high quality running. Well my friends, the running fun continues and things are going to get even HARDER! Can I say I'm excited? My run volume will go down a bit (as I predicted), but we are increasing the duration of tempo work being done on Wednesday and during my long run. Can I do it? Well, this past Sunday was my first long run post-Goofy, and I went for 1:30, and I also decided to see if I could throw in tempo at the end and guess what? SUCCESSFUL! It felt a little harder than normal, but my legs were certainly primed for it.

My bike training has been fairly high-level intensity and consistent over the last 12 weeks (up to 40' of FT intervals twice a week plus HIM intervals during long ride), but the big gift I get to give myself for the next 5 weeks is putting FT TIME INTO MY LONG RIDE!!! How awesome is that? So I will be hitting the bike hard three times a week.

Finally, I commented to my coach that my swimming has sucked. I think there are a few logical reasons:

  • I have been lifting pretty heavily (currently in my maximum strength phase), and that usually puts a damper on my swim speed. Remember, I'm not a lifelong swimmer--just 6 years running--so I always feel my swimming is the most vulnerable sport.
  • My swim volume has been rather low for me. Historically, I seem to do better on higher-volume swimming--10,000+ yards per week. I am just over that beginning this week.
  • My pool has been friggin' HOT. I learned the other day that they actually pour warm water in there on some days to heat it up for the very old/young. Oh well.
Coach to the rescue! I can see the next few weeks of swim workouts are designed to help me get my head back in the swimming game, and since I'm actually getting a break in the weight room (I'm not pushing maximum strength for EVERYTHING ALL AT ONCE--it's staggered), I am hoping that I will start to see glimpses of that speed that I know I have.

For the next 5 weeks, though, I have to be confident (which I AM) in my coach in that my overall volume won't be that high (only about 14 hours per week), but with the high intensity, I will be as ready as I can be for that 1/2 Ironman in 6.5 weeks, and then begins the big volume push for Ironman Brazil.

I know when my race rehearsal weekends will be, I know when my big bike or run volume weeks (where I get to do 2 long runs) will be, and I'm excited about it. Sure, there always comes a time during those last 8 weeks of Ironman training where I'm saying "WTF am I doing this for AGAIN?" to myself and walking around like a zombie for a few days during the week, but mostly I am so happy that I get another opportunity to train at yet a higher level and see where that can take me in the races. I know all too well that if you don't get excited about the training, it's a long haul to that start line. I have been sleeping plenty, stretching more than ever, and while I have my low spots, generally every day has been an opportunity to "get it done."


So it is with great commitment and optimism that I begin this next block of training--and I can't wait to see what's on the other side of the horizon!

6 comments:

Steven said...

Yes, you can say you're excited...as well you should be. You are going to start tearing it up out there. As if you weren't already!
Buckle up, hang on, and enjoy the ride!

Fe-lady said...

I think you are the only one training for an IM distance that has any IDEA of the hours you must put in to train well...
I am training more than most of the people posting (8-10 hrs a week) and I am only doing a sprint in the near future! You go! (and it ounds as if you are trying to qualify! Cool!)

Born To Endure said...

Either Lead, Follow or get outta your way BABY!!! Your training plan is intense, but you know the rewards and dividends it will pay you in the end!!

Crackhead said...

The other thing I think most folks don't get is that it takes a few years to get to the point where you acquire endurance, muscular endurance AND speed in long distance racing. I can see how my training has progressed, and thankfully my coach is able to send me through the progression in a safe, fun (I know it's your and my idea of it, anyway!) manner. No way I could train the way I do now 2 years ago, and that was my 4th year of IM training! But what's interesting is my average training hours have actually come down--since I have such a good base, I am able to put in the intensity at a fairly high volume without injuring (knock wood) myself.

Now, I realize there are others out there training at even crazier volumes and intensities than I am, but for where I am in my experience level (and age, I guess), I feel like I've come a long way and what's great is I've learned why I'm doing what I'm doing.

And yeah, you picked up on that trying to qualify thing? It's a possibility at Brazil...depending who shows up and how fast I can go! Ultimately, I'll be very happy if I can knock some time off my previous best and have an ultra strong day, like I felt running the marathon 2 weeks ago!

Thanks for all your positive vibes! It's nice to hear from another Iron Lady. BTW, my other alter-ego name is FeFe. You will learn more about that in a few months :) Ask Shelley!

Eric said...

I can tell that you won't be going "home" any time soon. Your posts are as intense as your training. Keep up the awesome work. You look like you will do fantastic.

Brett said...

FeFe huh? Do tell ...