Friday, May 16, 2008

A Day in the Life, Part II

Continuation of yesterday:

5:40AM Drive to the Y to run. Towel Nazi is not at the front desk, so I'm able to score 2 towels so I can actually dry off after I shower.
5:50AM I'm on the treadmill. I brought a can of Coke with me and a bottle of Gatorade. My stomach isn't right from the coffee, and I'm thinking it's going to be mostly Coke. Suprisingly, my legs do not feel too bad, although the Zone 1 shit feels waaaaay too slow. There are an awful lot of smiley, morning workout people at the Y. 25% of them recognize me.
6:20AM Time to start Zone 2. It still feels slow, but not that bad. I'm able to take sips of Gatorade now, although periodically I want to gag and puke anyway.
6:50AM 1 hour down, I get to--you guessed it--take yet another shit. Ah, the pleasures of running, training hard, and a high metabolism. I use the opportunity to change the CD in my CD player (still no iPod, don't start on me) while I am in the can.
6:55AM Back on the treadmill, and a friend, Jamie, comes in. One of the first entrants into the Hottie Brigade. I love talking to him, it's like we both get motor mouth when we see one another. One of these days I hope I get to ride with him again.
7:55AM I'm done! It was a good idea to run on the treadmill today. My legs had been pretty beat up from last week, and they finally feel "normal" again. Well, as normal as you feel after running 2 hours.
8:15AM I'm back home, ass in chair, working, sucking down Endurox R4. Ready to face the leftover crises from yesterday, but I am easing into things, and after prioritizing, think it won't be such a hectic day after all.
10:15 One long call, and now I'm getting hungry. Colleague wants to chat post-team call, which is good, but I am fucking starving, so I'm on the speaker phone making myself breakfast or whatever it is. 4 eggs, 3 pieces of Canadian bacon chopped, scrambled and cooked in butter, English muffin also buttered. Man, I love eggs. I wolf this down and start to feel better.
12:00PM I'm fucking tired. I want a nap, but there's no time for that. Must keep working.
12:30PM Guy arrives to go over with me what yard work I'd like him to do. First time I'm paying someone to do some of it for me--I have just run out of time for some reason this year, and I want it finished before June rolls around! Stuff like trim all the shrubs, weeding, etc.
1:00PM Back into work crisis mode, but I seem to have a handle on things. Start wondering how I am going to make it through the day without a nap. Eat some bananas, which helps temporarily.
4:00PM Work is under control; maybe I can finish up my lifting from yesterday, so I do (16 minutes is all), but my muscles are screaming at me while I do it (bis, tris, chest), and yet I do a little posing in a mirror and am happy about how I look.
5:15PM I call it a day, workwise, and get ready to go to The Bike Shop. Load Bitch into car first, blanket on top, and LGL on top of her. My bikes are having sex back there. I'm concerned that the metals (magnesium and boron carbide) will commingle and birth some mutant bike back there.
5:40PM I'm at The Bike Shop. So what am I having done? Well...Bitch is getting BLUE (or as they call it, blau) Nokon cables! Also, I'm ditching the X-LAB and getting a carbon behind-the-seat-bottle holder. I needed to observe LGL being lubricated one more time so I know how to do it--she has special lubrication needs due to the way her Nokon's had to be installed. I also had them switch the cassette on the back (I can do it myself, but what the hell) since I'm riding in Wisconsin on Saturday. I also picked up my new Louis Garneau Rocket Helmet (I got the blue and white one, of course):


It's fucking gorgeous, and looks good with Bitchie. I also had shims put into the left shoe of both LGL's and Bitch's shoes, since my left foot is different than my right and my left leg has a functional shortness compared to my right. I also picked out new carbon cages (curiously enough, Profile Karbon Kages) for Bitchie once she has carbon on her butt and on the seat tube. She is going to look awesome once they are done with her! I also looked at (first time you are hearing about it) fixies online, and have decided on this one:


I'm going to put cowhorn bars on it with sweet bar tape, Cane Creek brake levers,

and no, I don't have a name for it (I think it's a HIM) yet.
8:30PM I get home (yes, my bike shop trips are legendary lately), throw pasta into the microwave, load the coffee pot, crack a beer, start making a list of crap I need to do on Friday, wolf down the food, decide I better eat more, think about TV, scrap that idea, grab a package of crackers and read yesterday's newspaper in bed for about 15 minutes, decide I better pass out since I have to be done swimming by 7:45AM (and I'm doing the 4,000 yard workout again).

Phew. Now it's Friday...
2:45AM I wake up. At first I'm not sure whether it's stress, I'm hungry, or I have to pee. Lay there for awhile, and guess what? I have to take a shit AND I'M HUNGRY. Take care of the first item, then make a sandwich, eat it while reading a little bit more of the newspaper, and then try and go back to sleep. No such luck, really, but laying down is still a good thing.
3:55AM I look at the clock and decide, close enough. I'm awake. Turn on the coffee pot, put on a record (I'm loving the new turntable, and I still LOVE Ska--like I need to listen to really fast, crazy music, you know). Grab a Power Bar and get rolling. Think about what I have to do today--swim 4,000 yards, work on major crisis at work, maybe run a little bit, go grocery shopping later (and booze sampling), stretch, fix bottles for Saturday's festival (Patti and I are riding the ENTIRE IMWI course and then running--I wonder if I can pull it off), begin packing for Saturday, set the coffee pot, OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG.

And yet, despite all this craziness, I am loving life!

6 comments:

Brett said...

Fixies are cool. A friend of a friend rides one solely now on group rides and has become a phenomenal cyclist because of it. Pedaling in circles, etc. Have a good ride Saturday!

Wingman said...

And here I was thinking I was the only triathlete who shits like 3 times a day; and please, link away! Good luck on the ride this weekend.

Val deux Val said...

Help! I just ate two whoppers and I can't get up... and the HHH is only 30 days away!

yikes! Panic City as I realized today I will not be shedding the 25 lbs I planned on losing before HHH. And I wanted to go long this year, so I'm headed down to the basement to fetch my OCR1 with its trusty triple. I'll sneak into Verona for our Friday night carbfest at Avanti, then dash out to my single room at the Quality 8 Inn under the cover of dark.

When all the L2L boyz gather atop Blue Mounds for our pre-ride pics, I'll defer to my car parked way over there, no way over there, and head on down to the start amidst the hordes of riders. I'll skillfully avoid my crew at the first few rest stops, then when it's late into the 200K, I'll be all smiles as my granny gets my paid-for belly up Pinnacle Rd!

We'll miss you Crackhead, but maybe next year I can kick your oft-photographed derriere while astride Sir Litespeed, my faithful compact!

Crackhead said...

VDV,

I can be convinced to bandit HHH and thusly provide well-needed scenery as me and my weightless LGL cart our beautiful asses up various climbs; it's just that I wasn't able to register in time.

What group are you riding with and who will drive up there with me, and I'd need a place to stay--P.S. I eat A LOT but don't take up much space.

Val deux Val said...

Holy crap, batman! There's bat guano on my new bar tape!

This poop obsession has turned ugly folks. If you must, take it offline. Here's a worthy website: http://www.poopreport.com/Stories/Content/appearance.html

So, Sheila P., you're up for a HHH bandit ride. very intriguing, indeed. Let's talk. Of course, fig newtons are off the table, given your bm proclivity. oops, another poop reference!

VdV

Crackhead said...

VdV,

Sorry about all the poop references. They will be banished from my posts heretofore. It all has to do with early morning and running, anyway. I don't have issues with that while biking! Biking is all about hydration and subsequent pissing.

By the way, I ate some Fig Newtons while riding, and "nothing" happened.

Last year at HHH, I just drank Infinit and had maybe a few gels and I was fine the entire way.

Sheesh, read the rest of my posts...there's a lot more content besides the bodily functions...

;)