Thursday, November 10, 2005

Yesterday's workouts

Sorry I'm late in posting this. You'd think I'd fallen into some sort of rut. God (or your favorite spiritual deity) forbid!

I had to meet business folk for breakfast at 7AM 35 FUCKING MILES FROM HOME. You'd think leaving at 6AM would give me plenty of time, but I made it, even about 8 minutes late, due to Mapquest not telling me whether to turn left or right on the road where the restaurant is located.

I had bad coffee (this seemed odd for a Walker Brothers Pancake House, but I just went bleah when I tasted it, yet they kept filling my cup), 2 eggs over easy and a stack of 4 rather small (4" diameter?) pancakes, with the butter moved off but plenty of syrup (SUGAR!!!!). This should have been fine for my stomach and all, but my stomach/GI tract didn't feel well the rest of the day. Maybe I had bad eggs, or maybe it was the bad coffee, or maybe the food was just too rich for my finely-honed metabolism.

It took me 1:15 to drive back home--the highway was a parking lot--so this just put me in a great mood after meeting with an irate, yet passive-aggressive customer (he seemed so nice), and I had to figure out when I was going to get my workouts in, since I didn't have time to do my usual 6AM swim.

After I arrived home, I figured I had better summarize the damn meeting from my notes, lest all those thoughts disappear. Synopsis (from customer's viewpoint): I WANT, I WANT, I WANT, I WANT, I DESERVE. OK, fine. SO I finished the summary, and then decided I would run first, since I couldn't get into the pool until noon anyway.

10:29AM Run about 1 hour. The workout called for 15' Easy, 15' Steady MS: 20' Mod-Hard/z4 CD: 10' Steady. I was going to run outdoors, and I knew it was windy (15-25MPH sustained, with gusts to 35), so I figured I'd run out against the wind as best I could, and then try and pick it up on the way back, figuring I'd negative split because of a tailwind. As I began running, the wind really didn't bother me, and neither did the hills. But my stomach felt like total crap. It had been 3 hours since that "breakfast," yet it felt like I had indigestion, which is not common for me. Then again, it's not common for me to eat a breakfast like that unless I've done a workout beforehand. At any rate, while my legs and power had their usual "floatiness," my stomach felt like crap. I didn't worry about my intensity level, I just let it happen. I don't know how fast I was running, but my guess is 8:45-9:00mpm, which technically is "steady to slightly hard" for me. As I turned around after 30', I noticed that I wasn't really going to have a tailwind all the way back. The winds were WNW, and they seemed to keep coming in my face a lot of the time. No worries though, about 15' from being done, finally my stomach didn't feel "rotten," and I was able to consciously pick up my pace, at least I did based on my HR. I negative split the run by about 1:30, which is fine, and I figure I got enough intensity in there, what with battling the wind the entire time. But I didn't walk any hills!!!

12:22PM Swim 2600 yards, 57'. The swim wasn't good. While my stomach calmed down due to floating in water, my arms were just dead, and I guess my legs from the harder-than-I-thought running. I was supposed to do 2800 yards, and really I should have stopped sooner, but for some reason I pressed on through 2600. I just felt sluggish and sore. Serve me right for swimming right after a moderately hard run!

I came back home to a few fires at work, and got to listen to another irate customer, oh joy. Meanwhile, I thought my stomach was OK, and later I ate a nice trout filet for dinner, but instead of eating starch with it, I ended up snacking on fat-free string cheese and leftover Halloween candy. Not your ideal combination! About 1/2 hour before bedtime, my stomach started feeling horrible, all knotted up, so I took 1/2 serving of Pepto-Bismol and a couple of Maalox tablets, and that was enough to calm things down so I could sleep.

But when I woke up today, I had (still have) a headache, and my stomach is not right. I don't know what's going on, because I rarely have stomach issues, but one thing I know it means I am having mental/emotional issues. I'm sure it's just a part of this lovely experience I'm having, so I'm not concerned, or maybe I have an actual stomach bug.

At any rate, I'm trying to be nice to my stomach today, since I really want this to go away.

No comments: