Saturday, December 03, 2005

Physique, or The Vain Triathlete



You have to forgive me. I don't yet have a digital camera (it's on my list, as is an iPod, I'm so behind in "normal" technology), but I DO have a camera phone, so these shots were taken by me of myself, and the resolution isn't so great, but it's good enough. Anyway, the point of this is to show my abs and one of my arms. I'm pretty happy with how things are looking, you be the judge! If I can get the same definition in my legs, that would be da bomb, but I'm a typical woman, and the legs are always last to come up.

I'm not specifically trying to bodybuild--it's just a byproduct of my usual strength program, kicked up a notch this fall with more weight, and I think I'm getting leaner, too. So put a spare diet on top of increased strength training and a pretty hefty triathlon training schedule and this is what you get!

I get some of my general motivation from maintaining my body in good condition. It's really nice to look in the mirror and see something I like. Since I've been doing strength work consistently for 14 years, and for the last 3 or so I really stepped up my core routine, I think I've got some pretty good definition. I used to be into just bodybuilding, but I no longer think female bodybuilders are attractive. Now those fitness contestants, I think they have absolutely beautiful bodies! I don't believe in just having muscles that look good, though--they need to DO something! I could never go back to straight bodybuilding, even though I've been told I could probably compete if I wanted to. Not for me! Those things bodybuilders do to cut weight are just not healthy in my book. I'll settle for looking good in lycra, thanks!

At any rate, I am a little vain (as I think many triathletes are), and I think that looking good can be rewarding in and of itself. Of course when people ask me how/why I look like I do (this is at my Y where they are seeing me typically with running shorts and a bra top, a swimsuit or naked in the shower), I tell them it's exercise and eating right! There is no other way. But if they ask me how much of this or that I do, I don't like telling them, because then they might think they must be as hardcore as me to achieve a good physique. What I usually end up saying is that I firmly believe (and can attest to from my pre-triathlon days) is that anyone can have a really good physique if they eat cleanly and exercise 1 hour a day. ONE HOUR!!! Not the crazy 2+ hour shit that I do now. If I were to go back to a "normal" life what I would do is strength train 2-3 hours per week and do 4-5 hours of cardio (of course, at a respectable intensity). That's enough to kick up your metabolism, allow you to eat at least a couple hundred extra calories per day, and you can be lean and mean! Actually, that's what I did when I started running in 1999. I kept up my strength training at about 2-3 hours per week, ran 4-5 hours, and added maybe a little cardio class or might jump rope for 30' once a week just to keep things interesting.

I had to laugh yesterday at the grocery store--this man (who appeared to be at least 10 years older than me) and I were discussing dry skin, and I remarked that with my 2 a day workouts I was showering twice a day and 3 or 4 times a week I was in a pool, and that it really dried out my skin, but that it wasn't that bad, since my skin is normally a little oily. He then asked me why do I work out so much? I smiled and said, "Because I enjoy it." Damn it, I keep forgetting that most of the world, especially when you get into your 40's, doesn't really buy into the whole exercise thing. And of course, if you do it more than once a day and you are considered a lunatic!


One of the things I plan on doing when I quit my job (which may be in as soon as 1-2 years; I just have to work out the math) is to get a personal trainer certification and also a coaching certification. I would like to train others, but really be more of a lifestyle coach to help people get their bodies and exercise regimes where they want them. I've dabbled a little in this already, but I had to be honest with myself and know that with my own job and my chosen level of training and racing goals, it was just too much. I've learned a ton about exercise physiology, strength training, endurance conditioning and training, nutrition and mental training, and would really like to use my knowledge to help others. For now, though, blogging and mentoring are about as far as I can go. But I do know that when I get into the business for real, that it will be important for me to look the part. There are some coaches and trainers that don't to me. But then again I have pretty high standards, and I belong to a Y, and my Y doesn't exactly hire the cream of the crop (although I will say a few of them look really good).

Believe me, I know looks aren't everything. But they help!

OK, time to get on my bike and be a triathlete. Enjoy your day!

6 comments:

tri-portal said...

Regarding your camera: "but it's good enough". Don't you dare post any more pictures of yourself w/o a digital camera. U can get a decent one for $100 bucks. I think that is a nice physique you have, but I can't really quite tell. Go right to Walmart today and plunk down da moolah n re take those photos n repost so we can really see your results!

Regarding IPOD: I bought one for $400 which I thought was expensive. I listened to it for a week, and immediatly bought one for my wife. Then outfitted three cars to accept IPODS. After a month, I bought another one for my son. Once you go IPOD, u don't go back. But then again, I hate any type of commercial broadcast TV or radio.

You: "but I'm a typical woman" Me: No - anything but typical. Want - typical - go to da mall and come back and tell me if u r typical.

You: "At any rate, I am a little vain" Me: Don't be so modest.

PuddyRat said...

Well, coming from another 49 year old woman, DAMN! We should all be so lucky to look that good. Way to go!

I'm a huge proponent of using heavy (or at least heavier) weights as that is what promotes muscle strength. Lifting wimpy weights for a huge number of reps just leads to wimpy muscles. After all, if you can lift a heavier weight for 10 times, it's more than likely you can lift a lighter weight for 20 times, so what's the point of lifting the lighter weight?

Well, maybe through continued diet and exercise, I can get back (yes, I did once) to having abs and arms like you. Keep up the great work! I'll look forward to reading future posts.

Born To Endure said...

WOW...you look great Sheila..all that hard work is paying off divedends eh?..Good for you!!!

Bolder said...

you may have to rename your blog to 'Mind, Abs, and Arms of Iron'!

show's us the art of the possible.

thank you.

Brett said...

We will need full-body shots to make accurate judgments on your progress. ;)

TriZilla said...

Love the abs - :)

Now, tell me what you're doing about that dry/oily skin issue. I have the same problem. Sometimes 2 workouts (1 pool), 2+ showers/baths (I work in a chemical lab - there isn't a choice) - My skin is crawling. But I'm scared to put lotion on it for fear of breaking out (which I do on a regular basis).

Just curious if you had a fav product....