Sunday, December 11, 2005

Today's Workouts: Equipment Test Part 1

9:53AM Run 1:50 as 30' Easy, 40' Steady, 20' Upper Steady, 20' Mod Hard.
This run was 10' longer than last Sunday's run, and thankfully, the extra time went into the Steady block and not the ending tempo work. Today was the day to test out a new pair of running shorts that I plan to wear at the Disney marathon, complete with cell phone in a back pocket, and also I wore my Fuel Belt for the very first time. I told the guys at the desk in the cardio room at the Y to excuse me for looking like a dork with the Fuel Belt on, and that next week I'd have the Fuel Belt AND a tutu, because you know what they say--"nothing new on race day." They both said they had to be here to see THAT.

I had 2 of the bottles on the belt (I have a 4-bottle model; each bottle holds 8oz.) loaded with defizzed Ultra Violence, and the other 2 had Mango Gatorade. I brought the rest of the 32oz. bottle of Mango Gatorade. For Disney, all 4 Fuel Belt bottles will be loaded with Ultra Violence; my plan is to drink 1/2 bottle every 3 miles starting at mile 4.

The Fuel Belt felt fine, other than it making me sweat more. I was smart enough to Body Glide my waist. The only place I've ever chafed in a marathon is around my waist and under the HRM strap, and I've learned that lesson well. I am still not sure if the Fuel Belt bottle openings are to be twisted or popped up--I ended up popping out the center section whenever I took a drink. I guess I am a little too aggro with my teeth.

My legs felt pretty good throughout the entire run today, despite all the crazy ass training I'd done this week. I am now to the point where my warmup pace feels wrong to me--I am getting used to a higher leg turnover now. But I'm still not fast! That's OK--my goal for Disney is to finish both days RUNNING.

After I finished the run, I walked for 4' on the treadmill, and did some arm stretches while doing that, then I went to a mat and stretched about another 15'. I had done a little bit of stretching before I left just to loosen up, so my total stretching for today was 26'.

12:10PM Swim 1400 yards 28'. I just flopped around in the pool--I swam 1000 with my fins on real easy, did 200k, 50 back, and 150 pull. Just nice and easy to get the legs all cooled down.

All in all, a good day's workouts! One more hard week to go and then it's taper time!

1 comment:

Brett said...

On my Fuel Belt, the bottles openings just pop up. I have an older model, but I think they are still the same. Mine works great ...