Monday, December 12, 2005

Today's Workouts: Tunnel Vision

You know that sensation you get when you're training really hard and getting close to the target event and you have difficulty focusing on anything else? Welcome to my world! Today is the second time in the last 2.5 weeks where I feel totally, thoroughly, exhausted. I knew it was coming--it wasn't like this was a surprise--I've had my training schedule through next week in front of me. To not expect to feel tired would have been delusional; to think that I could show up and perform well for Goofy Challenge without doing the level of run training I'm doing would also be delusional, given my goals to get through both days running. Given my triathlon goals with my big A race in May, to not expect my bike training to be tough would also be delusional. Add to that my desire to get stronger, muscularly, and the cards have been stacked!

Don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining! I've known what I would be in for, and as difficult as this all is, I am enjoying it, especially knowing that in 2 weeks I get some sort of taper (that is still a surprise) and will get some sort of rest after the event.

It's interesting how all of these thoughts and feelings can be expected when approaching any major life event, yet I am continually amazed at how so many people get so overwhelmed by something they knew was coming, knew what sort of preparations were required, and yet they sabotage their own efforts by failing to execute proper preparations, set unreasonable goals, or succumb to stress that is of their own doing. Goals can be adjusted; events can sometimes be cancelled or postponed; stress management techniques can be cultivated to the point where they are a part of your everyday life. Right now I don't feel stressed; I am just tired--something I totally expect and almost welcome. But I also know that if I do truly feel stressed, that I have choices I can make--I can scale back my goals (especially if I know I need to scale back my preparations), I can postpone or cancel an event, or I can let go of something else in my life that is getting in my way.

If you are living truly aware, then your eyes are wide open. You know what you are doing, you control what you can and let go of what you can't, and you eliminate beliefs, actions, reactions and thoughts that restrict your view. It's so easy when you're in a car and it starts raining and you just turn on the wipers and presto, you can see well. EYES WIDE OPEN. Reminds me of the sign that you see at the end of some tunnels: ARE YOUR LIGHTS ON? So, are yours?

Oh yeah, was supposed to report today's workouts.

7:26AM Swim 3000 yards in 1:05. WU: 200 swim, 200 pull, 200 kick, 4 x 50 (10") Swim Golf MS: 12 x 100 (20"), Odds Mod-Hard, even's 5 sec slower. 100 easy swim. 4 x 200 (20"), Neg split. CD: 100 easy swim

The pool was COOL today! When I showed up on deck, I could feel the fatigue from last week's training, and I was not in the mood for warm water. So when I jumped in and it felt almost cold I was very happy! As I warmed up, though, boy were my arms and legs tired, and I wasn't swimming very fast at all. I remembered I had to do 12x100, but I hadn't looked closely at the workout. When I saw the odds/evens stuff, all I could think was, "This is such a GIFT." I was happy to know I didn't have to swim it all hard. And when I started on the main set, I was totally surprised at how fast I was able to swim the odds! I haven't seen those times in months--just goes to show you what cool water can do for you.

On one of the 100's, as I turned, it felt like I hit the lane rope, so no big deal, I kept swimming. But I was a little confused as to why my hand didn't hurt more. After I finished that one, I found out why. Apparently me and a woman in the adjacent lane had smacked hands, and she took the brunt of it. I apologized, although I'm sure my hand didn't go over the lane rope--I was actually trying to avoid her gangly side stroke earlier, and I'm very careful to stick within my space. Oh well, I knew she was hurt more than me, and I apologized as best I could.

As other swimmers entered the pool, it was nice to see all the faces light up as they got in and realized how nice and cool the water was. I ended up having a good workout, albeit with fatigued arms and legs.

9:30AM Strength, 3x12, 46'. I didn't do all of this at once--it was catch as catch can between meetings and calls and stuff, but I got in a good deal of work. Again, even while doing this I could feel the massive fatigue in my body. But I have to travel tomorrow, so I didn't want to leave the entire strength workout to tomorrow which would get stacked on top of a brutal bike workout.

2:47PM Run 55', including 15' strides. I was smart today, and kept it easy, as I was supposed to. Although the last 10' I ran on the track, and while I thought I was holding myself back, guess what, er, no, I was surprised I was holding that pace at such a low heart rate. But at least it was just 10' and not the entire workout!

I am going to sleep VERY well tonight.

2 comments:

tri-portal said...

Welcome to your world? I am envious of your world right now. You are peaking; you have climbed to the summit! When I reflect back on my training memories, it is the struggling points, the near breaking points, the uncomfortable ness which etches a permanent memory in my brain - this creates unforgettable memories for me. Although the races are nice, personally, I have better and fonder memories of the training triumphs and training failures than the actual races. Since I am not a gifted athlete (I have to work exceptionally hard for any type of small success), mentally my race starts six months prior to an actual race. Which means that my races are usually six months long (talk about endurance racing). I visualize that the work that I am doing (workouts) is actually the race. I feel like the more work I can do before the start line, the more of an edge I will have against others. I am getting (gaining) a head start on my competitors.

What you are doing is also a character building experience. Why do you think I am attempting to get back into this sport? I crave it. You may or may not have viewed the sport from my viewpoint before. Although I cannot judge if I have ever been to the point where you are at presently, I feel as if I have been there before; and then decomposed back into a mere mortal status. Although I am physically fit right now, I have a loooong way to go before I can experience what you are experiencing right now. It is where I want and crave to be: the near breaking point.

You are defiantly focused. I would tell you good luck, but I doubt you will need it. It appears that you have MADE your own good luck (hard work).

Comm's said...

another awesome post. so motivating.